Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Dandylion Roots

I was weeding today (for the first time ever...kind of...) and was digging up dandelions.  I couldn't believe how deep those suckers went!  I took my spade and tried to get underneath them (at least six inches or so!) but for the most part, I ended up just breaking the root.  I was amazed at how these weeds grew - I mean, I knew that they were hardly little guys and it's really hard to kill them, but with roots like that it's no wonder!!!!  So as I was digging in the dirt, my mind wandered to how we can be like dandelions...and should we?  Here's what I came up with:  These roots go deep.  When a dandelion seed finds its home, it is there for keeps.  It's not shallow; it's not superficial...these guys are here for the long haul.  Come weed killer or spade, these plants fight to live.  And once they're established, they are committed to spreading and multiplying themselves all over the countryside (just look at some of my neighbor's yard for evidence of this!).  After considering the attributes of our favorite weed, the dandelion, I have come to decide that this is what we should all strive for.

~We should be permanent.  I know that sometimes we can't choose where we live (as so many of my friends who are military can attest to) or how long we can stay, but I believe that wherever God puts us and in whatever community, we should invest into it.  We should treat it as a permanent residence.  Live in the moment and for the future; stretching your roots out deep and secure.  And if God calls you to a new location, treat it as another permanent location to plant your roots (and you will be blessed - having so many places to call "home"!)~

~Multiply.  No, I am not saying that we should have as many kids as our bodies can dish out - I'm saying that we should reach out to those around us...show them our ways...teach our children to spread the values and lessons that we are teaching to them to those in their circle of influence!  Let's not be holing up in our homes - driving into our garages powered by an automatic door opener and never even seeing our neighbors.  Would you even recognize them if you saw them in a Safeway?  Let's spread our flowers all over our neighborhoods!~

So that's why I've named this blog "Dandylion Roots" (and yes, I know it's a misspelling of Dandelion - that's for another day!).  This isn't a post intended to preach, but instead to share some of my insights as I dug up weeds and reveal my innermost, deepest thoughts.  :P  I promise that not all blog posts will be as "profound", but I hope to share with you my journey as I develop deep roots in our new home and in our new neighborhood and with our young family.

Please join me!

1 comment:

  1. ha, ha, love this !!! dandelion roots are medicinal. Before I read this I Thought thats where you got the title from. love your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete