Thursday, June 16, 2011

Cats Everywhere!

So, as I've written before, Em likes - no LOVES - cats.  She lights up when she sees one...doesn't matter if it's real and in the room, or on the television or a stray on the street.  That and birds.  "Burr!  Burr!!!" she yells, pointing out the window.  It's so cute!!!

But, I digress...  Originally, Em's room was a Noah's Ark theme since she seemed to love animals in general.  (And, I wanted to decorate her room in Noah's Ark, doggone it!!!)  But now seeing as how she's so into cats, I've been sketching cats in various cat-like poses and then painting them on her wall in her room.  So far, I have done 4 sketches.  Although I can't claim the drawings as my own (I have borrowed someone's sketches from online), I can take credit for enlarging the sketches and drawing them freehand before painting them.  Here is what I've done so far:

 This one was my first.  He's either trying not to fall, or he's trying to climb up and over the door! :D

 Second cat was a bit more adventurous in my drawing career...  The squirrel looks a little weird in the face, but oh well!

 Although Number Three needs to go on a diet (but he was huge in the original drawing as well!!!  It has to be the perspective...), he is my favorite so far as well as the easiest.  He looks like he's going to pounce on some poor sucker coming through that door...or else on the pink kitty when he finally falls down...!

I couldn't get the right front leg just right...but for an almost 2-year old, who cares?  When Em saw this tonight, she squealed and was giggling for 30 seconds.  She kept pointing to this one and then the one hanging from the branch.  I think those two are her favorites so far!

So now I have the two largest walls left to do.  I'm thinking I'll do a series of 3 cats on the wall by her bed - one getting ready to pounce, one looking down at something, and the third in the midst of pouncing.  And then on the other wall, I'll do 3-4 kittens - maybe one in the corner by the window trying to catch something (a bird, perhaps?) and the other ones just in "lazy" cat poses with some more birds flying above.  This has been a fun project and pretty quick, too!  Each cat has taken me 10-15 minutes to sketch and paint!  Much simpler than a solid color on a wall!

No comments:

Post a Comment