Thursday, November 8, 2012

Rei the Reindeer

I like the whole idea of "Elf on a Shelf".  I have never bought the book or read it, but I see enough photos and blogs about it, I think I have a pretty good idea of the premise.  However, I have not been (ever) gung-ho about Santa.  I don't mind him, but I'm not going to make a huge effort to see him in the mall or to sneak around my kids or go crazy with the Santa decorations.  We do stockings, we play along and tell the girls that Santa lives in the North Pole and comes to everyone on Christmas eve, but we don't get carried away.  I want my kids to remember the REAL reason for Christmas.

But I love the playful attitude of the Elf!  So, how to I merge the two?  How do I make Christmas not all about being on the naughty or nice list and still keep it fun and magical, but focused on Christ?

Then I stumbled upon this blog.  She was facing the same dilemma   But, she had a solution!  And I shamelessly stole her idea, tweaked it a bit, and made it my own.  I took her letter and re-wrote it to better fit our family and the fact that we're not using an Elf, but a Reindeer.  I liked how instead of the Elf "tattling" on the kids to Santa each night (as the book that started it all describes), our Reindeer is learning from OUR children about grace and forgiveness and love.  That's what I love about this gal's idea - turn the Elf on the Shelf into a teaching moment (or moments!).  When Rei the Reindeer does naughty things (albeit, not as naughty as some of the photos I've seen...I don't have time to be that extravagant!), it will be an opportunity for Ash and Em to teach little Rei about right and wrong and grace.  I shared it with the husband and he gave his stamp of approval.  So, come December 1st, we're giving this Elf on the Shelf thing a try, but we're doing it our way and with God and His Son Jesus as the primary focus.

Here's Rei.  His name is from the Bible (it's just a coincidence that it's the first three letters of Reindeer...) and it means "my friend, my companion".  His story - verse - is found in 1 Kings 1:8.

He's cute, isn't he? ;)

And for those of you wondering, here is the letter.

Have a very Merry Christmas and although it's cliche...remember the Reason for the Season!

No comments:

Post a Comment