Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thread Letters

So I got this idea from another blog and couldn't wait to try it in my bonus room upstairs (which is an eclectic combination of themes and colors - it's just FUN!).  The hardest part was figuring out the font I wanted!  I wanted to use something fun, but it still needed to be blocky...I chose Showcard Gothic.  

This is my wall BEFORE:


Next, I printed out my word in the size I wanted it.  Each letter is about 8 inches tall...smaller than my example from the other blog, but I wanted it smaller so that I wouldn't crowd the space I wanted it in!


After measuring each nail and marking it 1" below the head, I nailed the corners of each letter in and created a curve around the U and G (I used 50 nails).  Then, I carefully removed the paper without popping out the nails.


Finally, I took some embroidery thread I had on hand and tied a knot on one nail before wrapping the thread making each letter.  I went around 7 times before knotting the end again and cutting off the excess string.
 


My finished design!

No comments:

Post a Comment